\

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Wikipedia in the news again. I find this story fascinating, and I wish I'd thought of it. Good on Shane Fitzgerald (if he truly is who he says he is) for making asses of the lazy journalists of the world. We want their names!

Interestingly, Shane Fitzgerald does not have his own Wikipedia entry. Oh wait a minute, yes he does! He's the Irish Green Party politician who was elected to the Leixlip Town Council in the Irish local elections of 2004! Oh sure you are, Shane. How wily of you to be just obscure enough to not arouse those sleepy Wikipedia administrators.

Anyway, I was sorry to hear of the man's passing. Maurice Jarre is one of the great film composers of the twentieth century and I doubt he would have said anything that dopey, unless under duress. I don't think I would have believed it if I'd read it, and only underpaid obit writers who'd never heard of the man would have printed that. I wouldn't have printed it. I would've come up with something much more profound. I would've spent some time on it.

About Maurice Jarre, I have this to say: only a brave composer like Jarre could so deftly integrate that timeless instrument, the Triangle, into such a sweeping epic as Lawrence of Arabia. I've been playing the triangle for years and I still can't get it down.

(Wait for it at 1:40...)




~