\

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I had been planning the greatest April Fool's joke of all blogdom for today, but now I'm just not feeling it. "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" you know, which is a terrific quote. It's terrific in that we can all immediately identify with it. It's terrific in that man's pride is suddenly diminished to that of mice. And it's terrific in that it executes perfectly the word "awry" which goes so unused nowadays. The word was used perfectly once, finally, by Steinbeck, and then the English language retired it. Hung the jersey up in the library rafters and there it's draped: AWRY, for all of us to stand beneath, mouths agape. Also, it seems to happen "often", doesn't it?

Things have gone awry for some of the Ditchman's best friends, which is why I'm in no mood for April Fool's jokes. I'm not really in the mood for anything, actually. I don't have it in me to go to work. I don't have it in me to write this. I just feel heartsick, with a pronounced sapping of essence. But I did want to mention my friends here, who are like family, and ask you to pray for them -who must feel a thousand times more than what I do right now.

God has chosen to breathe life into another creature, which is hardly insignificant. He does it in ways we can only barely understand, and he does this on purpose. Then, in His vast and infinite wisdom, chooses who to trust with the care of His child. I know that there are a very few people in the world I would trust with my own daughter. The Lindens come to mind. I don't say that lightly. No one is responsible enough, especially when my child is suffering.

God is confident in his creation, confident in us, that we will take good care to lead his children back to Him. Somehow the least of these end up leading us, which is all part of God's wisdom, I guess. Or, I imagine. I mean, I hope.

May the joy and love of God be evident and abundant, in every circumstance and in every moment, during our own short lives. May it replace our wondering of His intent, and may we be filled with faith in it all the same.

Link is here.



~