\

Monday, June 30, 2008

You know it's going to be a long week when you wake up Monday morning and the distance between it and Sunday night was a blink. Then, laying there listening to the whirly sounds of Playhouse Disney emanating from the downstairs, you try and make sense of the dream you just had, where you went for a vacation on Maui but just rented an empty field for lodging. It was boggy, and rain was coming, but you were trying to make the most of it... Anyway, as you make your way downstairs, you come up with an elaborate and hella-detailed plan to get everything done this week, but then your wife derails the train of thought with: "It's going to be a busy week. I'm going to need your help." There's dentists appointments and swim lessons and vacillating customers who are just putting your mortgage on hold... Then you check your email and it's filled with all the friendly obligations agreed to last Spring, under quieter skies. I almost turned to the Little Ditchman and broke the bad news: Sorry kid. WALL-E's going to have to wait some. There's no time. There's no money. Looks pretty good, though.

BUT oh well, that's life and it's a good one! I've always been a busy person, so it's nothing new. I've always been a complainer, too, so I'll have to work on that. (But whatever would I blog about? Now there's a good blog: The Most Significant Complaint)

Speaking of complaining, I got an E-mail late Saturday night from a customer complaining about how I broke the column during the install last Friday. I wasn't finished yet, and hadn't gotten around to repairing the mistake. Don't you love it when that happens? These things are so poorly designed, they always break in the same place -so I'm getting pretty good at repairing them- but I need to print this on the backs of all my construction t-shirts: "PLEASE HOLD ALL CONCERNS AND CRITICISMS UNTIL THE CONTRACTOR IS FINISHED WITH THE INSTALLATION". It might work.

It doesn't work in life, however: Please wait until I'm seventy-six before criticizing me. I'm not done installing myself yet. You'd just get laughed at.

Also, the customer had a defective beverage cart.


~