\

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

It's Primary Day! This makes the previous seven days of the year sound like a book jacket, and to tell you the truth, they've been about as meaty. I was going to type some about the current politics, but what would I say? It would just fritter away into a shameless opinionated take on the world you've heard somewhere else. And why would I want to alienate my readers now, when I could keep you interested for a year and alienate you to utter perfection in November? Additionally, all I wanted to say about the candidates was captured clearly and easily by Lileks, so it's no use being redundant (as if I could.)

Today, the Internet brings you this:









Take the Sci fi sounds quiz I received 79 credits on
The Sci Fi Sounds Quiz

How much of a Sci-Fi geek are you?
Guess the Sci-Fi Movie Sounds hereCanon powershot


I'm so disappointed I only got 79! To be honest, I went back and played it a second time because I wasn't sure about one of the answers, so I did get to boost my score a couple. I guess it's going to be one of those days where I'm just not the geek I aspire to be. Certainly I'm not geek enough to figure out how to work the paragraph and line spacing in HTML code.

Still, I believe it will be a good year, even though Hillary has been crying lately. We will have a new president come November, which should make about half of the country happy, and we'll have a new Indiana Jones movie in May, which should make the other half of the country happy. Or the same half. Not sure. It will also be the year of Potty Training, as I noticed this morning. The Little Ditchman was perched up on the commode with an Elmo picture book in her lap. Whatever it takes, I guess. Me? I read the Opinion section.

But the mighty rains have passed for Southern California, and much of it was not washed out to see, or to sea, thank goodness. All we need in 2008 is another media spectacle to reenforce global warming fears and foster distain for our poor leaders. All the same, there was a bit of panic in these parts when people looked up at the grey sky over their mud-faced hillside in the backyard. I noticed on the news that they were handing out free sandbags on various street corners around town. "A city employee will be there to help you load up your truck!" they exclaimed on the news. It was nighttime. A city employee? Loading sandbags into my truck? In the dark? In the rain? America's Finest City indeed!

~