\

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The invertebrate aquarium has been stabilized, you'll be happy to hear, with no loss of life. The 50 gallon breeder tank I have going right now has a lower profile, but is the same width. This happens to be a more preferred height for a reef tank. The corals are closer to the light source, thus giving them better photosynthesizing ability. Also, since the whole thing is significantly lower, I'm getting better ventilation from my fans which is keeping the temperature down. As well, the rock spreads out over the bottom and creates an even water flow over them, which the corals also prefer. Plus, a smaller tank makes the display look like it has more life in it, with the corals I have all concentrated together, and when the light trickles over them, the habitat actually looks like it would in the wild as if you were snorkeling over them! Mrs. Ditchman actually said she prefers the look of it, so go figure. Unfortunately, so do I, which kinda bums me out. Perhaps a new tank is in order, instead of just a repair. I don't know. Anyway, I can't stick with this one as there is no overflow, and no sump for the protein skimmer, so a nasty scum builds up on the water surface every few days, and water changes need to happen at least once a week.

Fascinating, isn't it? Okay, maybe not. How about this:

I've been somewhat forgetful lately, which means I'm either drinking too much, or not running enough. Researchers say that just about the worst thing you can do for your brain is smoke and drink, and that just about the best thing you can do for your brain is run and think, so if I keep plugging away on this thoughtful blogging and get a marathon in a year, I should live until I'm 185. Did you know that an MRI of an Alzheimer's patient's brain and an MRI of an alcoholic's brain are nearly indistinguishable? It's a sobering thought. Literally. Anyway, I heard this girl on Prager a few weeks ago and it sounded like a fascinating book. I may pick it up.

Also, I heard this guy on Prager the other day and his book sounded pretty good, too. He writes, among other things, that recent research shows that exerting yourself to the point of total exhaustion causes the body to release HGH (Human Growth Hormone). HGH is the stuff that movie stars and home run hitters are taking, but you can get it totally free and legal by just running a marathon. Count me in!

Meanwhile, I work with aluminum, which could be a problem. How do I deal with it? By only drinking beer out of bottles.

Seriously. Be smart.


~