\

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

It's raining out. Is it going to stop? Or is it going to get worse? Is it raining at the job site? These are questions that really press me right now. If I decide to forgo showing up at the job site this morning, it is almost certain to clear up -right about in the middle of whatever project I take on in the office. On the other hand, if I do go to the job site, it is certain to begin a real full-fledged, unremitting downpour like we had last week, but it will only ensue after I unpack the tools. It's a game I play with myself, really. I'd much rather just sit here at my desk with my feet up and drink coffee, checking weather reports. And my Seattle friends would laugh, "That's not rain! That's a life-affirming drizzle!"

And rain is scheduled for every other day this week, which just messes with my mind -for whatever I start today, I won't be able to finish tomorrow, or vice-versa. And then there's the city officials I have to contend with. You see, I've got a job this week where I have to dig a few holes, and then the inspector has to come out twenty-four hours later and confirm that they are, in fact, proper holes. And then I have to get the holes filled with concrete. Also, the inspector will not come every other Friday. Today is Wednesday. Rain is scheduled for today, Friday, Sunday... see my problem?

Ah well, it's Southern California. Really the best place in the world to live, even if your property is worth $10,000 less than last month.

I usually avoid mentioning politics. I bring it up and all manner of typable blathering emits from the keyboard, and why take that risk when YouTube is only a -click- away? But this Obamamania is really striking. I mean, yes, wow, his speeches are good. They're inspiring! Change! But where is the there? It's astonishing, really, that he's able to sustain the hype for so long without getting into any specifics, but that's what good politicians do, I guess. Voting records show him to be among the furthest left politicians in the Senate, and interestingly, McCain has one of the most conservative voting records, and yet so many republicans are decrying him as "liberal!" Acchh, politicians... Anyway, I only brought it up because I thought Lileks was pretty funny on it today. (Half way down the page.)

Change? Yes, of course. That's what an election is, change.

"Politicians are like diapers. They both need changing regularly and for the same reason."

FYI it's still raining (drizzling) out. But I guess I'm not the only one who can't get things done today as a result of bad weather.


~